Essential question: What are my challenges and successes in implementing my unit?
Challenges: I did not have a lot of challenges this week. A big challenge will be trying to get the unit complete in 2 weeks. Students are taking a lot longer than anticipated to do some of the tasks. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Some tasks are more confusing to begin with so students are slower at getting started. Once students understand the task they work towards completion. Even though it is taking time, students are working and asking questions. I consider this a success as well as a challenge. From Kahoot, actively learn, and ED puzzle I realized students did not understand the differences between heat, thermal energy, and temperature. Because of this I spent some extra time explicitly talking about the differences as well as allowing some time for students to look up some info on this topic. Another challenge was the internet connection. At the end of the week connection was really slow and students were being kicked out of Kahoot. This affects my data. Even so, we played 3 Kahoots and students averaged 60% correct.
Successes: I made a guide to help scaffold the research process. This guide included questions that helped students focus their research. In the past I have tried a more free research but students struggled with what to do next. This guided research helps students know where to go. My students need practice with research and this is helping to build their skills. Instead of me being bogged down by questions students were able to help each other and I was able to assist as needed. For example, one group still struggled with the differences between heat, thermal energy, and temperature. They took the notes yesterday and when they read them today they were confused. Many groups used their notes on heat, thermal energy, and temperature to answer questions on their research. It was AWESOME to see students remember they had done notes and then to go back an use them. I think this is a great benefit of designing a lesson using the UBD template. Everything is interconnected and not used only once. Learning is a continual process.
I took a lot of more detailed notes and included them below.